The Girl Booker

The Girl Booker

Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Anti Book Review

I try to read outside my areas of interest and comfort from time to time, so the other day I thought I'd give trash romance a go. People, I tried to give it a go, I swear! However, the fact of the matter is that I stopped fairly abruptly. I feel rather mean splashing the name of the book and author all over the internettle when I have nothing good to say about either, so all I will tell you as a warning is to watch out for a book that has the world "Island" in the title, and to check for the quotes I mention below:

I found the bottom of page 16 questionable, and it certainly made me flinch a little, but in the spirit of open mindedness I decided to continue. So it wasn't the following exchange that put me off:

'Get me a girl,' he instructed as soon as she came on the line. 'And make it quick.'
There was only one thing he needed right now: a fucking blow job.

Charming, no? Nevertheless, I persevered. Or attempted to. The absolute deal breaker was only on page 19, the drama-filled opening of chapter 1:
Loriana Garcia Torres was reading a novel. It was a good one.

Blow jobs and swearing I can handle, stupidly bad writing I cannot.

6 comments:

  1. i used to eat books like that as a horny teenager, and would put up with any amount of dreadful writing in the hope that there might be some torrid sex scene buried in the turgid prose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosie, I may or may not have attempted this book for that very reason but found I just could NOT go through with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess that means you're not a horny teenager anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's still better than Cathy Lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan - oh deary me - it's *better* than something?

    ReplyDelete